Following private health reforms in early 2019, we updated the name of our Pilates classes to 'physiotherapy exercise sessions' to allow our patients to continue to claim through their private health cover. Most private health funds will offer a rebate for our physiotherapy exercise sessions, including the initial musculoskeletal assessment and private follow-up session, under ‘Physiotherapy’ extras cover.
You don’t need to be an existing physiotherapy client to attend our classes; many of our clients attend our classes purely for the fitness-related benefits.
Our physiotherapy exercise sessions are a form of exercise that is both restorative (for those with injuries and surgeries) and preventative (for those who want more from their bodies and their future wellbeing). Our sessions are a wonderful way to feel stronger, become more active and confident and not need as much physiotherapy and medical treatment!
About the Sessions
- There is a maximum of 4 people in each session.
- Each session is fully supervised by a physiotherapist.
- Everyone is doing their own individual program based on their assessment.
- Progressions (or regressions) are made to each session depending on the needs of your body on the day. Injury flare ups are considered as needed. Your physiotherapist will assess what exercises are best for you.
- You undertake a full musculoskeletal assessment and a follow up to learn your individual program before starting sessions.
- A reassessment and new program is offered every ten sessions.
- We keep clinical notes detailing your symptoms, needs and progress.
- They are a mixture of clinically appropriate exercises, which may include exercises delivered on Pilates equipment or exercises drawn from Pilates that target their particular needs. Our physiotherapists deliver these exercises within an evidenced-based, therapeutic and preventative framework. Our sessions include other types of exercises, balance work, physiotherapy advice and hands-on treatment (if needed) to facilitate your movements.
What are the Benefits?
Our physiotherapy exercise sessions can:
- enhance strength and flexibility
- build lean muscle tone
- assist with postural correction/ head and body alignment
- improve coordination and balance
- assist with injury prevention and rehabilitation
- and much more!
Physiotherapy exercise sessions take place in our Pilates studio, which features the well-known reformer machines, as well as lesser-known Pilates equipment including the wunda chair, ladder barrel and trapeze table. In addition to Pilates equipment, programs also incorporate other exercise equipment like mobility sticks, the spine corrector, balls, weights, mats (for floor work) and foam rollers.